The City of San Juan improves the quality of life for all by providing affordable, consistently reliable, quality services so that its citizens can realize their full potential.
PAY RATE: $13.61/Hour
To provide a variety of specialized and routine tasks in the provision of emergency and non-emergency communication services; to answer calls for the Police and Fire Departments and to the general City number and respond to the calls as appropriate; to provide emergency dispatch services. General supervision is provided by the Captain or his designee overseeing Uniformed Services.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Behaviors must comply with the Code of Conduct and Rules of Behavior outlined in the San Juan Civil Service Rules & Regulations, San Juan Police Department Policy Manual, City of San Juan Personnel Employee Manual
- Answer and process calls, including emergency 911 and general non-emergency to City Hall and the Police and Fire Departments; forward calls to appropriate departments and personnel; prioritize calls and assign proper codes
- May oversee maintenance of office equipment; maintain inventory of supplies; participate in acquisition of supplies as necessary
- Notify wrecker services of requests for towing; maintain records of towing activities; dispatch City water, sewer and animal control personnel as necessary.
- Monitor alarms for jail and building facilities
- Notify hospital personnel of incoming ambulances; transmit status of patients.
- May search prisoners.
- May witness statements by witnesses, prisoners or suspects
- May change tapes on recording devices; add paper to printing equipment; save and file reports and data on computer equipment; file hard copies of reports and other data
- May participate in internal and external training exercises and programs; may assist in training of new personnel.
- May monitor the weather
- May coordinate with other agencies to receive and transmit information.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Computer, typewriter, radio, etc.
WORKING CONDITIONS/PHYSICAL DEMANDS:
Maintain physical condition appropriate to the performance of assigned duties and responsibilities which may include: fulfilling responsibilities characterized by anxiety, confusion, and stress, maintaining constant readiness to answer and dispatch calls, sitting for extended periods of time, operating specialized communications equipment. Maintain effective audio-visual discrimination and perception needed: distinguishing the difference between colors, reading, and writing, communicating with others, operating specialized communications equipment.
Requires a high school diploma or GED. Speak English and Spanish fluently, able to read and write legibly, pass criminal background investigation, pass National Dispatchers Test, no experience required; type 35 wpm. Possess of a valid Class C Texas driver’s license. Must also possess TCIC/NCIC Full Access Certification, within one (1) year of employment. Knowledge of: jurisdictional boundaries of the City of San Juan, Texas, safe work practices, modern office procedures, methods and computer equipment, proper spelling, grammar and punctuation, basic report preparation, principles and procedures of record keeping. Must be able to communicate with persons in highly stressful situations; be proficient through TCIC/NCIC level within one year of employment as a condition of continued employment. Failure to prove proficiency as Call Taker, and NCIC within one year of employment will result in non-disciplinary termination. This is not applicable to part-time employees. Operating modern communications and computer equipment. Work during regular and irregular shift rotations, which may include weekends, holidays and extended hours in emergency, disaster or other situations influenced by workload or staffing difficulties. Work under stress and use good judgment in emergencies, listen carefully, respond to requests and inquiries from the general public, be assertive and calm in soliciting information from distressed callers, plan, organize and manage time effectively, type at a speed necessary for successful job performance, establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with coworkers and those contacted in the course of work, Simultaneously perform a variety of tasks, use a variety of specialized equipment including communications and computer-related equipment, quickly assimilate information and implement an appropriate course of action, communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing, pass a drug examination, pass a medical physical examination and meet the City’s driving standards.
Job descriptions/specifications are only intended to present a descriptive summary of the range of duties, tasks, and responsibilities associated with a specified position. Therefore, descriptions/specifications may not include all duties performed by the individual. In addition, descriptions/specifications are intended to outline the minimum qualifications necessary for entry into the position/class and do not necessarily convey the qualifications of incumbents within the position/class.
Please submit application to: Department of Human Resources 709 S. Nebraska San Juan, TX 78589 (no emails or faxes will be accepted).
Position will remain open until filled.
The City of San Juan is an equal opportunity employer.
APPLY FOR THIS POSITION
The City of San Juan is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and does not discriminate against applicants or employees on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, political affiliation or belief, sex, age or handicap.
**Test Required: Thank you for your interest in seeking employment with the City of San Juan. All applicants applying will be required to take a drug and alcohol test, prior to employment.
Thank you for visiting our career page. Please review our open positions and apply to the positions that match your qualifications.