The City of San Juan improves the quality of life for all by providing affordable, consistently reliable, quality services so that its citizens can realize their full potential.
PAY RATE: $10.45/Hour
Under immediate supervision of the Director of Sanitation or his/her designee. Is responsible for general labor of corresponding department. Will occasionally prepare simple reports and/or records on a daily basis. Position has little or no contact with the public. The position has no supervisory responsibilities.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Responsible for the removal of grass and weeds on the streets and right of ways.
- Maintain alleys and right of ways by being mowed and cleaned.
- Maintain trees trimmed that obstruct traffic view, signs or the proper maneuvering of vehicles.
- Maintain water meters and gas meters by removing weeds and debris.
- Seasonal Vector Control of Mosquitos
- Work with power tools such as, but not limited to drills, weed eaters, chainsaws etc. on a daily basis.
- Operate a 15 to 30 horse power garden tractor.
- Work with garden and lubricant chemicals.
- Insures that the assigned city vehicle is properly maintained and serviced.
- Reports damages and graffiti to city facilities.
- Perform physical and manual labor on a daily and continuous basis.
- Work in a variety of weather conditions.\Duties involve considerable bending, lifting, digging, carrying, or walking with little chance for variety, and/or using force equal to lifting 20-50 pounds periodically (chain saws, trash cans, misc. equipment.)
- Must assist in lifting 100-200 pounds occasionally (bleachers, playground equipment, picnic tables, etc.)
- Perform other related duties as required.
City vehicles, two-way radio, trade tools, general garden tools, weed eaters, push mowers, chain saws, hedgers, blowers, and 15 to 30 horse power garden tractors, herbicides and pesticides.
WORKING CONDITIONS/PHYSICAL DEMANDS:
Works outdoors all day with some unusual working hours or irregular hours which may also include some shifts hours, due to weather conditions. Must be able to endure the hot sun most days and on occasion inclement weather. Will have exposure to hazards which might result in serious injury, may work under extreme outdoor conditions. Continuous lifting of heavy materials, constant physical movement; demands physical strength associated with hard labor or forceful physical contacts. Perform physical and manual work on a daily basis.
Must have a minimum of six (6) months related experience to perform effectively, with little supervision, in work situations which are varied or which have deviations and irregularities. Must be able to perform strenuous manual labor tasks; able to follow oral instructions; able to work under extreme weather conditions. Must posses a valid, Texas Drivers’ License. Prefer for individual to possess a high school diploma or GED. Must obtain pesticide and herbicides applicators license within the first year of employment.
Note: The above duties describe the chief functions of the job and are not to be considered a detailed description of every duty of the job.
Please submit application to: Department of Human Resources 709 S. Nebraska San Juan, TX 78589 (no emails or faxes will be accepted).
Position will remain open until filled.
The City of San Juan is an equal opportunity employer.
APPLY FOR THIS POSITION
The City of San Juan is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and does not discriminate against applicants or employees on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, political affiliation or belief, sex, age or handicap.
**Test Required: Thank you for your interest in seeking employment with the City of San Juan. All applicants applying will be required to take a drug and alcohol test, prior to employment.
Thank you for visiting our career page. Please review our open positions and apply to the positions that match your qualifications.