The City of San Juan improves the quality of life for all by providing affordable, consistently reliable, quality services so that its citizens can realize their full potential.
PAY RATE: $13.65/Hour
Under immediate supervision of the Recreational Supervisor. The Recreation Assistant II is responsible for assisting in the coordination of sports programs and special events. Prepare recurring reports and records. Makes several decisions weekly requiring some interpretations and judgments. The position has daily contact with the public which requires simple courtesies and exercise of tact and diplomacy. Other duties may be assigned by the Director and/or Assistant Director of Parks & Recreation. This position has no supervisory responsibilities.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Must be able to work and deal with the public in a courteous and diplomatic manner.
- Handle all information desk traffic; learn Department organization programs, and policies.
- Miscellaneous secretarial and extensive typing duties.
- Must be proficient in Microsoft Office and Excel software.
- Provide daily, weekly and monthly reports as needed.
- Responsible for opening and closing of facilities as deemed necessary.
- Assist in assigning and supervising sports programs and special events.
- Audit current equipment and recommend which equipment is needed for the Regular Season.
- Have meetings with coaches as needed and ensure that a background check is conducted.
- Secure that bids are submitted to our league for Regular Season uniforms, as well as All-Star uniforms.
- On a timely basis, report any concerns, issues and/or protests to Administration as needed. Ensure that everything is documented and there is witness during one-on-one meetings with volunteer coaches.
- Maintain open/positive communication with coaches, and parents for Regular Season and All-Star Season.
- Will help move equipment such as recreation equipment, bleachers etc. Assist in conducting drafts for placement of players on teams.
- Ensure that proper documentation is provided and filed for all the players at registration.
- Assist in scheduling of games ensuring equal number of games for all teams is provided.
- Schedule all contract personnel for adequate coverage of games is provided such as officials, program supervisors, and scorekeepers, timekeepers, security, and media personnel.
- Attend any meetings relating to programs, sports, special events, and in affiliation with various associations and governing entities.
- Provide support when needed in coverage at sports programs, recreation events, and special events as needed whether local or out of town.
- Responsible for recruitment and retention of qualified volunteers’ coaches for all sports.
- Must use good money handling procedures.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Scoreboards, general office equipment, personal computer, fax, copier and other office equipment.
WORKING CONDITIONS/PHYSICAL DEMANDS:
Some unusual working hours, irregular hours or shifts, may involve occasional travel, with little or no hazard to health or body in standard conditions with adequate lighting, heating and ventilation. Physical effort limited to lifting 20-30 lbs; work involves some standing and walking from place to place.
High School Diploma or GED required and a minimum of three (3) years related experience is required. Must have sufficient knowledge in the field to perform most normal work as assigned with minimal direct supervision. Must have a valid Texas driver’s license.
Please submit application to: Department of Human Resources 709 S. Nebraska San Juan, TX 78589 (no emails or faxes will be accepted).
Position will close Wednesday, August 21, 2019 @ 5pm.
The City of San Juan is an equal opportunity employer.
APPLY FOR THIS POSITION
The City of San Juan is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and does not discriminate against applicants or employees on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, political affiliation or belief, sex, age or handicap.
**Test Required: Thank you for your interest in seeking employment with the City of San Juan. All applicants applying will be required to take a drug and alcohol test, prior to employment.
Thank you for visiting our career page. Please review our open positions and apply to the positions that match your qualifications.