The City of San Juan improves the quality of life for all by providing affordable, consistently reliable, quality services so that its citizens can realize their full potential.
PAY RATE: $31,514.95/Salary
This position is one in which the employee performs not only work on a particular job but also holds the responsibility of assisting the coordination special work assignments, community activities, public relations, and works closely with the P.S.J.A. Independent School District to promote the Cities Recycling program. Assists the Public Works Department and the citizens of San Juan in an effort to reduce the waste stream and divert the municipal waste to the Recycling center. The employee will coordinate Work with school districts, commercial districts, civic groups, and other government entities. Employee gives continuous and reliable service to the public, which also involves dealing with sensitive matters demanding utmost tact and delicacy. Will have supervisory responsibilities by overseeing the Recycling Division.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Plans, organizes, coordinates and implements programs in the areas of waste recycling, waste prevention and waste minimization.
- Reviews and assesses public education and drawing efforts related to recycling and municipal waste stream reduction.
- Plans, develops, and conducts education and training programs for the general public through contacts with businesses, schools, community groups, etc. Complies, prepares and makes available materials for public education and training in a variety of media.
- Researches availability of grants to provide supplemental funding for specific programs and activities. Prepares grant applications, coordinates grant applications with other agencies as appropriate, administer grant funds which are received.
- Assist with special assignments in department when requested.
- Willingness to work flexible hours, if needed.
- Schedule all presentations with schools, businesses, civic groups, etc. and prepare all materials and giveaways for presentations for Recycling.
- Conduct presentations to children, adults, and senior citizens at schools, senior centers, civic organizations meetings churches, businesses and area merchants.
- Prepare monthly reports and maintains data accordingly.
- Supports and performs storm water inspections, generates follow up work orders, makes maintenance schedule recommendations, and maintains/updates inspection documentation, analyzes trends in inspections and schedule recommendations, and maintains/updates inspection documentation in the maintenance management software system, analyzes trends in inspection and maintenance data.
- Monitors storm water conditions using software and field inspection data, to include flooding, physical stream changes, bank erosion, and stream characterization. Analyzes effects, trends; recommends actions and time frames.
- Responds to customer complaints or inquiries from internal/external customers regarding operation and maintenance of storm water drainage issues. Properly responds to service request and performs work orders.
- Initiates communication with property owners, agencies, and communities regarding necessary maintenance needs, scheduling inspections, and follow-up visits. Makes recommendations to resolve operations deficiencies.
- Perform other job-related duties as assigned.
Computer, typewriter, calculator, copy machines, scanner, and other general office equipment.
WORKING CONDITIONS/PHYSICAL DEMANDS:
Works indoors and outdoors as needed while working a normal 5-day, 40-hour week. In some instances, special projects may require occasional night or weekend work. Some traveling when needed to attend seminars or conferences. Work requires some physical effort involving some sitting and standing. Must be able to lift at least 25 lbs.
Requires a High School diploma with a minimum of (1) year experience in academic and/or hands on administrative assistance functions. Must have a minimum of (3) years’ experience in public speaking. Requires individual to be bilingual (English and Spanish). Must be computer literate and proficient in Microsoft Office, email and internet. Must have excellent grammar, writing, communication and organizational skills. Preferred Qualifications: Code Enforcement Certification as it relates to MS4 and experience in working with the public sector, in a Public Works capacity.
Please submit application to: Department of Human Resources 709 S. Nebraska San Juan, TX 78589 (no emails or faxes will be accepted).
Position will remain open until filled.
The City of San Juan is an equal opportunity employer.
APPLY FOR THIS POSITION
The City of San Juan is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and does not discriminate against applicants or employees on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, political affiliation or belief, sex, age or handicap.
**Test Required: Thank you for your interest in seeking employment with the City of San Juan. All applicants applying will be required to take a drug and alcohol test, prior to employment.
Thank you for visiting our career page. Please review our open positions and apply to the positions that match your qualifications.