The City of San Juan improves the quality of life for all by providing affordable, consistently reliable, quality services so that its citizens can realize their full potential.
PAY RATE: $12.66/Hour
Under general supervision of the Chief of Police, the Animal Control Officer is primarily responsible for all issues related to the enforcement of animal control codes. Preparation of recurring reports and maintenance of records will be required. Decision making requiring some interpretation and judgment is required several times a week. Position requires daily contact with the public, dealing with issues that require the use of courtesy, tact and diplomacy. The position has no supervisory responsibilities. Perform other tasks as assigned.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Routinely patrols city streets to pick up stray and dead animals.
- Assist in enforcing city ordinances regarding health and safety codes, as directed by the Director of Planning.
- Responsible for keeping the animal shelters clean at all times.
- Prepares cases for legal action and appears in court action against violators of health, safety and animal control codes and zoning codes.
- Investigates and captures animals suspected of being rabid.
- Conducts quarantine checks for rabies in biting animals.
- Patrols for stray dogs for impoundment purposes.
- Transport animals to shelter.
- Write up animals captured for fine purposes and identification.
- Enforce animal control ordinances.
- Attends court hearings.
- Answers telephone calls from officials and the public.
- Train new Animal Control Officers, as necessary
- Will perform other related duties as required.
City vehicle, two-way radio, office equipment, trade related tools.
WORKING CONDITIONS/PHYSICAL DEMANDS:
Works normal office working hours; 5-day, 40-hour week; however, will be on call on a rotation basis. Position is exposed to hazards which might result in serious injury or death, may work under extreme outdoor conditions. Physical effort limited to lifting 20-85 pounds; work involves standing and walking from place to place.
Requires a High School Diploma or GED with sufficient knowledge in a field to perform most normal work as assigned with minimal direct supervision. Some experience preferable, but can be accumulated during 2 to 6 months employment in the position. Must posses of a valid Texas driver’s license with a satisfactory driving record. Must be certified as an Animal Control Officer or obtain such certification within one year from initial hire date. Must be licensed to euthanize animals within one year from initial hired date.
NOTE: The above duties describe the primary functions of the job and are not to be considered detailed description of every duty of the job.
Please submit application to: Department of Human Resources 709 S. Nebraska San Juan, TX 78589 (no emails or faxes will be accepted).
Position will remain open until filled
The City of San Juan is an equal opportunity employer.
APPLY FOR THIS POSITION
The City of San Juan is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and does not discriminate against applicants or employees on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, political affiliation or belief, sex, age or handicap.
**Test Required: Thank you for your interest in seeking employment with the City of San Juan. All applicants applying will be required to take a drug and alcohol test, prior to employment.
Thank you for visiting our career page. Please review our open positions and apply to the positions that match your qualifications.